Foreign Travel

Faculty, staff, and students traveling on university approved business or study to international destinations must be enrolled in the CSU's Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) prior to departure. Coverage is not automatic; travel must be reported via Risk Management to ensure coverage.    

Summary of Coverage

The CSU Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) provides coverage anywhere in the world that is not the United States, including its territories and possessions. Subject to terms, conditions and applicable exclusions, FTIP benefits include but are not limited to the following:

  • 24/7 Travel Assistance Program
  • Emergency Medical
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation
  • Repatriation of Remains
  • Emergency Reunion
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment
  • Security / Emergency Political Evacuation Expense
  • Trip Cancellation
  • Trip Interruption
  • General Liability

Faculty, staff, and students are reminded to contact the Travel Assistance Program when in need of assistance while abroad, to ensure benefits are activated and payment for covered services guaranteed. 

Request Coverage

Faculty and Staff

  • Please allow 30 days for processing of travel and insurance documents (the approval process for foreign travel includes the university president and if travel to countries on the CSU War Risk List the CSU Chancellor’s Office).
  • Complete a T2, Request for Absence from Campus (see Policies & Procedures for campus travel policy, procedures, and forms).
  • Complete a Foreign Travel Insurance Request form.
  • Submit all paperwork through your campus department for approval.  
  • If you are traveling with students, please refer them to the Office of International Programs (OIP), 619-594-1354 to complete their travel requirements.
  • Upon travel approval and confirmation of insurance coverage, Travel Assistance Program information will be provided to travelers.


  • Foreign travel insurance requests for students are coordinated through the applicable study abroad office.
  • Students traveling independently must contact Office of International Programs (OIP), 619-594-1354 for travel approval, insurance enrollment, and other requirements.
  • Upon confirmation of insurance coverage, Travel Assistance Program information will be provided to travelers.  


Cost of Coverage

Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff traveling internationally on university business will have the cost of the insurance covered by the university, so there is no cost to the employee or the employee’s department. Faculty and staff requesting coverage for their immediate family member(s) traveling with them will be responsible for the cost of the family member’s insurance prior to departure.


Students traveling internationally on university business or study pay for the cost of insurance. Upon confirmation of coverage, the cost of insurance will be billed to the student’s SDSU account. Payment may be made through Student Account Services.

The cost of insurance is determined by length of travel and, as applicable, location of travel. An additional accident and health premium may be added for travel to high hazard countries.

Standard Rates
# Days Rate
1-15 $60
16-31 $75
32-90 $140
91-180 $265
181-270 $325
271-364 $500
365+ Contact Risk Management

Enroll in State Department’s Safe Traveler Program

It is highly recommended that students, faculty, and staff traveling internationally also sign up for the State Department’s Safe Traveler Enrollment Program to receive information about travel conditions and emergency assistance.