An employee involved in an accident while driving on university business, regardless of the amount of damage or whether a university or private vehicle is involved, must report the accident within 48 hours to his or her supervisor.
- Complete an Accident Identification Card (STD 269), located in glove compartments of university vehicles, before leaving the accident
scene. Share the information with the other driver; however, do not discuss the accident.
Do not admit fault or make any promises that the university will pay for any damages.
- If there were injuries to non-employees, or if the other party suffered significant property damage, report the accident to the State of California Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) by telephone at 916-376-5302.
- If the accident involves a personally owned vehicle used for university business, the accident should be reported to the vehicle owner’s insurance company. The insurance on the private vehicle is primary.
- Complete and submit to your supervisor a Report of Vehicle Accident (STD 270) within 48 hours of the accident.
- If you are contacted by the other driver, insurance company, or attorney give the caller no written or recorded statements and instead refer the caller to the State of California Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) at 916-376-5302 or 800-900-3634.
- Ensure the employee involved in the accident has completed a Report of Vehicle Accident (STD 270) within 48 hours and submitted it to you for review (or the supervisor should complete and submit form STD 270 if the employee is unable to do so).
- Investigate the accident to determine if it could have been prevented.
- Complete a Supervisor’s Review of State Driver Accident Report (STD 274) within 48 hours.
- Forward copies of all reports to University Police, Parking & Support Services Coordinator, MC-4390 for submission to the State of California Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM).
- The supervisor should also initiate any appropriate corrective action, whether verbal or written, and record any corrective action taken in the appropriate personnel record.
The State of California Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) handles and makes all decisions regarding vehicle accident claims. Claimants are to call ORIM directly at 916-376-5302 or 800-900-3634 to expedite the handling of a claim.