SDSU has an active recycling program with new elements being added all the time. You might not realize that many common items such as fluorescent light tubes, batteries, spray paint and toner cartridges are now being recycled on campus. Even electronic waste (e-waste) like old computers, monitors and television sets must be recycled per California legislation.
In addition, SDSU must divert at least 50 percent of solid waste from landfills. The campus is striving to meet or exceed this goal, and you can help. Containers are located throughout campus for most consumer recyclables such as beverage containers, cardboard and paper.
What Can Be Recycled?
• Beverage Containers: aluminum, glass, plastic
• Cardboard and cardboard boxes
• Construction Debris
• Green Waste: Christmas trees, grass clippings
• Paper: all mixed varieties
• Refrigerators (after oil and refrigerant is removed)
• Scrap Metal
• Toner Cartridges: printer and copier
• Landfills are expensive and space is diminishing
• Toxic materials need to be separated so they don’t leach into our groundwater
What You Can Do To Help?
• Buy recycled products
• Continue filling the blue paper bins and beverage recycling containers around campus
• Flatten corrugated cardboard boxes so custodians can dispose of them in the cardboard dumpsters. (A look in any campus dumpster reveals that cardboard boxes take up most of the space!)
• Buy only what you need and use all you buy. Large quantities are only economical if you use all the material. The remainder often ends up as trash.
• Remember the 3 R's: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
Phone : 619-594-2480
Email: [email protected]