Guidelines for the Assistive Device / Auxiliary Aid for Employees with Disabilities Program
The program is designed to supplement department resources to purchase assistive devices or adaptive equipment to facilitate the performance of job-related activities for university employees with disabilities. The funds are available for requests made by permanent existing employees. The funds are not available to purchase equipment or devices for the personal use of employees.
Use of Program Funds
- Assistive devices and/or adaptive equipment used to facilitate the performance of job-related activities only.
- Adaptive computer components and software.
What the Program Does Not Fund
- Program funds will not be provided to purchase equipment or devices for the personal use of employees; for example, walking canes, hearing aids and glasses.
- Program funds will not be provided to cover costs associated with medical or mechanical engineering evaluations to determine appropriate accommodations for employees with disabilities.
- Program funds will not be provided to purchase computers.
Verification of disability is required and may involve providing a statement from a physician, a health care practitioner, or rehabilitation professional.
Please complete the Application for SDSU Employee Assistive Device / Auxiliary Aid Program and return the completed form to the Office of Employee Relations and Compliance, Administration 228, Mail Code 1695. The Assistive Device Committee will review the Request within 30 days of receipt.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the Office of Employee Relations and Compliance at 619-594-6464.