Search Planning, Authorization and Accountability for Faculty Searches
- Departments must develop clear options and coherent plans for the growth and change
of their discipline and majors; this would be done in dialogue with the Provost and
in light of student needs and the SDSU Shared Vision.
- Rational hiring plans are developed to assess what skills needs will occur with retirements.
Hiring priorities should be established so that each hiring opportunity is structured
to advance academic program goals and responds to student needs.
- A request for a position must be justified in writing, linked to department plans
and articulated priorities. This is submitted by the Dean to the Provost for authorization
- Ad approval and accompanying documentation are forwarded to the Office of Employee
Relations and Compliance (ERC) to review advertising copy prior to publication.
- No action on the hire can commence prior to review of advertisements and formulation
of search plans with ERC.
- Search decisions are documented at each stage:
- Advertisement and plan
- Candidate pools
- Final recommendation
- Demographic data and PhD availability, specifics of ads, plan modification, search
procedures and data collection will be discussed in first committee meeting. ERC will
provide guidance to all search chairs as needed upon request.
- University search documentation is maintained in ERC, as well as all updates of the
- Only upon certification of candidate pool by ERC can interview scheduling commence.
Certification by ERC is based on review of written evidence of:
- Standardized criteria
- Justification for interview of candidates
- Reasons for rejection of applicants
- Certification of a search pool by ERC means:
- The search has followed all appropriate procedures
- There is clear documentation of search decisions
- There is evidence that recommended candidates meet the established criteria
- The university commitment to diversity has been addressed
- Under exceptional circumstances to be documented by the department and Dean, the Provost
may permit additional hires to be made from the same certified pool.
- All changes in position authorization, planning, candidate pools or recommendations
must be documented and included in the university search file.