Civil & Environmental Engineering
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Typical activities of Graduate Assistants may include:
- Assisting in the instruction of students by conducting small discussion groups related to large lecture or television courses and the like, supervising laboratory periods, workshops, production courses or other course activities, assisting by handling equipment, performing demonstrations, maintaining office hours to provide direct individual contact between student and graduate assistant, clarifying course material or course content for students,
- Providing assistance to faculty conducting authorized research by collecting and arranging data, developing source materials, summarizing reports, searching the literature and compiling bibliographies, developing and operating research equipment, preparing and caring for research materials, assisting in the conduct of experiments, etc., and/or
- Generally assisting faculty in evaluating student work and examinations, preparing course materials and aids, or performing other functions requiring knowledge and background beyond that generally possessed by undergraduate assistants.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge and Abilities: Knowledge of the subject matter of the discipline in which assigned. Ability to relate well to others within the academic environment; ability to supervise, assist, and train students; and ability to assist faculty in the conduct of special projects/research within the discipline. Experience: For the initial appointment, evidence of satisfactory achievement in previous academic work. For subsequent appointment, evidence of satisfactory progress toward completion of the degree. Education: Equivalent to completion of the requirements for a bachelor's degree and registration in a CSU graduate degree program. Students enrolled in credential programs are not eligible for this position.
EXCEPTIONS: Exceptions to minimum eligibility qualifications may be granted at the sole discretion of the hiring department/authority.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES OR HIRING UNIT CONTACT PERSON: Applicants must turn in an application which is available in the department office (E424).
- Current enrollment in the Master's or Joint Doctoral Program in the College of Engineering.
- Must be enrolled in six units of graduate work.
- Must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
PERCENTAGE OR HOURS OF APPOINTMENT: Varies; to be determined.
DEADLINE TO APPLY AND PROCEDURES FOR NOTIFICATION: Applications are received by the department on an ongoing basis; however, they should be submitted by May 15 for Fall and Nov. 1 for Spring. Applicants will be notified if awarded the position.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.