Metropolitan Transit System (MTS)
Spring Semester Passes
- MTS Semester Passes are available online for purchase beginning 1/6/2021.
- For in-person pass needs, please email [email protected].
This year, students can get their semester or monthly transit passes right to their phone through the Compass Cloud application. Semester passes and 30-Day passes give you unlimited transit use on MTS buses and trolleys all month or semester long!
To get your discounted pass, follow the steps below:
- Login to the SDSU Parking T2 portal (a step by step document on this step may be downloaded here)
- Opt-in by selecting a student 'MTS App Enrollment' Permit (pay a one-time$3 fee for account access to MTS, and a $1 administration fee to SDSU).
- You’ll receive an email (within 24 hrs) from MTS/Moovel (the mobile ticketing provider) with a link to download the MTS Compass Cloud app.
- From your phone, open the MTS/Moovel email link, and follow the steps to set-up your account.
- Set-up your account in 'MTS Compass Cloud' app by using your SDSU email address (the same email provided in the T2 Portal)
- Follow instructions to access the 'Student Pass Screen'
- Once logged into the app, select ‘Buy Tickets,’ then ‘SDSU Student Passes,’ and select the Semester or 30-Day Pass
- Purchase your pass with a credit/debit card, or a PayPal account, directly from the MTS Compass Cloud app. Student semester passes are $152, and monthly passes are $57.60.
Faculty & Staff
Faculty and staff are now also eligible to receive transit passes through payroll deduction - CSU employees see directions below! Eligible faculty/staff employees through Aztec Shops, Foundation Research and Associated Students will be posted in the coming months.
The following steps cover information and sign-up steps for CSU employee monthly passes:
- Login to the SDSU Parking T2 portal (set-up instructions here)
- Opt-in by selecting employee 'MTS App Enrollment' Permit (pay a one-time $4 fee for access to MTS). Faculty/ Staff monthly passes are $72.
- Users receive an email from [email protected] with attached PDF, requesting your signature to confirm the process in payroll deduction.
- A second enrollment confirmation email will be sent from MTS/Moovel (the mobile ticketing provider) with the app setup link (within 24 hrs) in the MTS Compass Cloud.
- From your phone, open the MTS/Moovel email link and follow the steps to set-up your account in the 'MTS Compass Cloud' app. (*Remember to use your SDSU email address - the same email provided in the SDSU Parking Portal)
- Your monthly pass will be automatically pre-loaded directly into your 'My Tickets' page (the 1st of each month) in the MTS Compass Cloud app. Pass payment will also be automatically deducted from your paycheck monthly.
To CANCEL Payroll Transit Pass Deduction:
- E-mail PATS to request cancellation.
- PATS sends Adobe Sign document for confirmation of cancellation.
(NOTE: Requests to enroll or cancel your transit payroll deduction pass must be made by the end of each month in order for the change to take effect the following month)
Discounted semester and monthly transit passes are available to all SDSU students. Faculty passes will also now be offered through payroll deduction.
Don’t need a semester or monthly pass? Try a Day Pass for only $6, and get unlimited rides on buses and trolleys all day long.
- Faculty & Staff monthly passes are $72
- Student semester passes are $152
- Student monthly passes are $57.60
Are mobile-passes just not for you? (NOTE: As of 1/2021 walk-in pick-up is currently not available due to COVID restrictions for staff - please email [email protected] for pickup at this time)
Please following the following steps:
- Book a time on the calendar to pick up a pass at our UPD Sub-station (office hours are 9:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on Tuesdays)
- Bring a check (or cash) made out to SDU Parking and Transportation Services to process the pass order.
- Both monthly and semester passes are available. (note: monthly passes begin on the day of purchase, and missed days will not be credited)
When traveling on MTS, special/student fares must be able to show proof of eligibility, or risk receiving a fine.
Taking transit to campus is easy!
To determine the best route, simply enter your start and end destinations into a map application like Google Maps and then select the transit icon.
You can also adjust the departure time to ensure that the optimal route is suggested.
Commuting to campus by bus or trolley is a safe and convenient alternative to driving!
- All (MTS) Metropolitan Transit System bus routes serving the University, along with the Green Line Trolley, stop at the SDSU Transit Center. Conveniently located next to the Aztec Student Union.
- The Green Line Trolley runs every 15 minutes most of the day and provides access between the SDSU campus and Mission Valley, Fashion Valley, Old Town and downtown San Diego.
- MTS also has many bus routes that connects students throughout the region. One of the most popular bus routes is Rapid 215 – a high frequency, limited stop service between SDSU and downtown San Diego (serving communities with popular main streets and restaurants such as North Park, Normal Heights, City Heights University Heights and recreation areas of Balboa Park).
There are many options for travel outside of San Diego that offer student discounts:
MTS Service Changes Due to COVID-19
- Effective May 1, 2020, face coverings are required to ride transit.
- Face coverings must cover the rider's nose and mouth.
- Per the County website, face coverings include: masks (purchased or homemade), bandanas, scarves and neck gaiters.
- View the CDC guidelines and recommendations for making and using a homemade face covering.