Metropolitan Transit System (MTS)
- Students 18 and under can ride MTS and NCTD services for FREE. More information about the program can be found on the SANDAG Youth Opportunity Pass webpage.
- Monthly student passes are available for $57.60. Passes can be purchased through the Aztec Parking Portal.
- The MTS pass for spring 2023 will be available for purchase starting January 3, 2023.
- Faculty/Staff Payroll Deduction Monthly Passes are offered by emailing [email protected]
Students are able to get their semester or monthly transit passes right to their phone without any fees. Passes will give you unlimited transit use on both MTS buses and Trolleys all month or semester long- along with free transfers (up to 2hrs)!
(Passes are also valid on NCTD SPRINTER and BREEZE services.)
Students interested in obtaining a semester pass for the Spring can purchase the pass through the Aztec Parking Portal, starting January 3, 2023.
- A Spring Semester Pass is $167.00 On sale 1/3/23 through 3/17/23 - Valid 1/9/23 - 6/10/23
- Monthly passes are $57.60 per month. On sale the 20th of each month prior - Valid for the calendar month
To get started:
- Step 1: Go to the Aztec Parking Portal and click on, "Permits," in the upper left hand corner, and then, "Get Permits." Click, "Next" and then select the $167.00 "MTS Semester Pass/Spring 2023 - NOT A PARKING PERMIT" option. Proceed with purchase.
- Step 2: Directions will be emailed to you within the next business day after your purchase, with a step-by-step guide on how to access your pass.
- Step 3: Download the PRONTO mobile app in the Apple or Google app store. Do not use a web browser to create an account. Please make sure to use your SDSU email address for your account - and do not login on more than one device. (If you do not have a mobile device and need a physical card, please contact [email protected] .) Here is a Step-by-step cheat sheet.
- Step 4: Follow the instructions that were emailed to you to download/activate your pass within the PRONTO app. You can verify your transaction was successful by clicking on the "Use" tab. You should see a QR code with the SDSU Fall Pass listed for $0.00.
(You must register your PRONTO mobile account with the same SDSU email address provided in T2.)
MTS YOUTH PASS : Are you 18YRS & UNDER?
Beginning May 1, 2022 until June 30, 2023, all riders 18 and under can ride MTS and NCTS services for free through the SANDAG Youth Opportunity Pass pilot program.
- This includes unlimited rides on the bus, Trolley, COASTER and SPRINTER. More information about this program can be found on SANDAG's Youth Opportunity Pass website.
- Sign-up for a MTS Youth Pass directly through MTS - visit www.ridepronto.com for more information.
Starting July 1, people ages 18 through 24 who are phasing out of the foster care system, or who have been elected to be in Extended Foster Care, may be eligible for free transit passes. The PRONTO Extend pilot program will offer eligible participants access to free transit passes for the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System and North County Transit District services.
To be eligible:
- Be aged 18 through 24
- Exited a foster care system on or after their 18th birthday, or be in Extended Foster Care
- Have one of the following County forms: Proof of Dependency/Wardship Letter or Notice of Action Form
People interested in the PRONTO Extend pilot program can apply online, via mail or in-person. Apply early to get access to your no-cost transit pass!
Additional program information and application details can be found online at www.sdmts.com/PRONTO-Extend.
Faculty & Staff
Faculty and staff will be eligible to receive transit passes through payroll deduction - CSU employees only.
- Employees must "purchase" the permit in SDSU T2 parking portal to opt in to the program between the 20th - 28th of the month for the following month or email [email protected]
- Employees opting in will be sent an AdobeSign card to sign authorizing payroll deduction from their payroll for $72 a month. After you do this you will receive an email with instructions.
- Your information will be uploaded to PRONTO monthly until you request that your payroll deduction be canceled. You must email [email protected] one month prior to cancel your payroll deduction.
- You will have the option to use a phone app pass or a physical card. Either choice will require you to set up your account with PRONTO on your phone.
- Physical cards can be purchased at the PRONTO trolley ticket machines on campus. Email [email protected] for any questions.
(Faculty/staff employees with Aztec Shops, Research Foundation and Associated Students please check with your payroll/hr representative to request transit payroll deduction)
Other Reduced Fares
MTS offers reduced rates for:
- Senior Citizens (65+ or born on or before September 1, 1959)
- Medicare Recipients (not MediCal)
- People with disabilities who qualify under 49 USC 5307(c)(1)(D) and 49 CFR Part 609
More information can be found here.
Discounted semester and monthly transit passes are available to all SDSU students. Faculty monthly passes are offered through payroll deduction.
Don’t need a semester or monthly pass? Try a Day Pass for only $6, and get unlimited rides on buses and trolleys all day long.
- Faculty/Staff monthly payroll deduction pass: $72
- Student monthly passes are $57.60
- Spring Semester Student Pass: $167.00
Prorated refunds for MTS Semester Transit passes will be issued according to the SDSU Spring 2023 MTS Refund Schedule. Spring 2023 MTS Semester Transit passes are non-refundable after March 27, 2023.
- 3-Zone fare (recommended for riders coming from north of Solana Beach to Old Town).
- 2-Zone (recommended for riders coming from Sorrento Valley to Old Town).
- There is no discount on the COASTER for the college pass program.
Don't have a smart phone?
Please following the following steps:
- Pay for your pass beforehand on the T2 Portal.
- Send an email to [email protected] for more information.
When traveling on MTS, special/student fares must be able to show proof of eligibility, or risk receiving a fine.
Taking transit to campus is easy!
To determine the best route, simply enter your start and end destinations into a map application like Google Maps and then select the transit icon.
You can also adjust the departure time to ensure that the optimal route is suggested.
Commuting to campus by bus or trolley is a safe and convenient alternative to driving!
- All (MTS) Metropolitan Transit System bus routes serving the University, along with the Green Line Trolley stop at the SDSU Transit Center. Conveniently located next to the Aztec Student Union.
- The Green Line Trolley runs every 15 minutes most of the day and provides access between the SDSU campus and Mission Valley, Fashion Valley, Old Town and downtown San Diego.
- MTS also has many bus routes that connects students throughout the region. One of the most popular bus routes is Rapid 215 – a high frequency, limited stop service between SDSU and downtown San Diego (serving communities with popular main streets and restaurants such as North Park, Normal Heights, City Heights University Heights and recreation areas of Balboa Park).
There are many options for travel outside of San Diego that offer student discounts:
- Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner Student Discount
- San Diego International Airport (Lindbergh Field):
- Southern California Passenger Rail Map and Timetables
- NCTD - SPRINTER, BREEZE & COASTER:
- There is no discount on the COASTER for the college pass program.
- The college pass program is valid for the NCTD SPRINTER and BREEZE ONLY (in addition to bus and Trolley).
MTS Service Changes