Zipcar is the world's largest car sharing network! A carshare service gives faculty, students staff (who are 18 years+) access to use vehicles at SDSU for trips on and off-campus.
Cars are available 24/7 in Parking Lots 2A and 5 (see Campus Map ). Other off-street parking Zipcars can also be found at BLVD 63 and Sterling Alvarado Apartments.
How to use Zipcar?
- Step 1: Apply for a Zipcar membership
- Step 2: Reserve a Zipcar for an hour, an afternoon or the whole day. Do it online or on your phone via the Zipcar mobile app.
- Step 3: Walk to your chosen Zipcar car and hold your Zipcard against the windshield. The doors will unlock and the keys will be inside.
- Step 4: When your time is almost up, return your Zipcar to its original parking spot. Be sure to follow all instructions provided on the Zipcar website.
- Fees: SDSU students, staff, faculty and alumni pay no application fee and a $15 membership fee for the year. Student leaders pay no application and no membership fee for the first year.
What is included?
- Vehicle Maintenance
- Reserved Parking Space
- Roadside Service/ 24HR Customer Service
- Miles (up to 180 miles/day)
- Your own Zip-Card
- The mobile app (free download for iOS and Android)
- Faculty/Student/Staff Yearly subscripton: $15
- F/S/S hourly rates: $5.50-8.50/HR ($1 extra for weekends)
- Alumni Yearly subscripton: $35
Use Zipcar as an alternative to the costs and hassles of owning or renting a car through their network of shared on-demand vehicles! Zipcars are self-service with easy-to-use mobile app keys and booking systems. Join at Zipcar.com/SDSU. Once approved, you can book cars instantly with the Zipcar app. You'll need your driver's license and credit card information. Members can also reserve a car by phone at (866) 494-7227.
What is Zipcar doing during COVID-19?
Enhanced cleaning protocols and products
Zipcar has promoted additional healthy hygiene and safety practices within the team that works behind the scenes to care for our vehicles. Vehicles have been upgraded in more frequent car-cleanings with antiviral and antimicrobial solutions.
Dedicated Zipcar Launched!
Drive the same Zipcar Monday through Friday! Dedicate Zipcar allows only you to have access to a vehicle. Pay one affordable monthly fee, plus mileage. Parking spot, gas, and insurance all included! Dedicated Zipcar discounts are also available in public locations to healthcare providers. Learn more about Dedicated Zipcar.
Practice good hygiene
We are asking our members to continue to be responsible members of our sharing community. Please follow guidance from health experts and use the best judgment regarding personal health. Members can help our car sharing community by bringing disinfecting wipes to wipe down the car for yourself and others.
Additional information regarding Zipcar's measures to safeguard its drivers during COVID-19 can be found here.