Preprofessional Health Advising Office
Director, Preprofessional Health Advising Office
The Director of Preprofessional Health is a full-time, twelve-month position reporting to the Dean of the College of Sciences. The candidate must have credentials and/or experience in advising within a science or health-related field and be knowledgeable about entrance requirements for medical, dental, veterinary and allied health training programs. The Preprofessional Health Director would work with departmental advisors to coordinate the academic and career advising for the Preprofessional and Allied Health students, support existing programs, assess future needs, and help to define College goals in the Preprofessional and Allied Health Fields. This position requires excellent written and oral communication as well as effective skills dealing with students, program directors, advising offices, and department chairs and advisors within the College of Sciences. Candidates with experience in and/or commitment to working in a multicultural environment with large numbers of students of diverse backgrounds and learning styles are desired. A B.S. in a scientific or health-related discipline is required, an M.S. is preferred.
In addition, the Director would:
- Be responsible for coordinating health career and undergraduate advising for students who are seeking careers in a health field and entry in Medical, Veterinary, Dental (Preprofessional Health), and Allied Health training programs;
- Provide equal, quality advising for students in all academic and career tracks within the Preprofessional Health and Allied Health fields; provide a smooth transition into and out of health-related programs;
- Work with departmental academic advisors to provide academic advising specific to students who are pursuing Preprofessional and Allied Health careers;
- Work with the College of Sciences underrepresented student programs office to coordinate efforts for advising students participating in undergraduate health career training programs;
- Interact with other campus health advising student programs at SDSU and at other California two- and four-year college and university campuses;
- Oversee and coordinate the Preprofessional and Allied Health Peer Advisors and their mentoring efforts, and supervise internship advisors;
- Develop and coordinate faculty committee interviewing and letters of recommendation for Preprofessional and Allied Health school applicants;
- Work with the various health-related associated student clubs in the College of Sciences to identify appropriate faculty advisors;
- Seek increased visibility and community awareness of the College’s Preprofessional and Allied Health student programs;
- Attend regular planning meetings of the College Program Directors and of the College Academic Advising Council;
- Participate in other activities and programs as directed by the assistant Dean for Student Affairs.
Review of applications will begin on November 25, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must submit:
- A letter of application that describes their qualifications and background
- A curriculum vita
- A description of advising experience and counseling philosophy
- Names and contact information for three professional references
It is anticipated that this position will begin in the Spring of 2014. Send a single PDF file to Ms. Julie Mitsven: E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Associate Dean Cathie Atkins with any questions: E-mail email@example.com, phone: 619-594-5732
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.