Defensive Driving

Driving on University Business

The California State University Office of Risk Management requires all employees to meet required criteria before authorizing the use of university vehicles. Employees who are required to operate motorized vehicles on university business are required to be safe drivers and operate vehicles in a safe manner. Employees must have a supervisor’s permission to operate any vehicle on university business. If the employee’s position requires operation of a vehicle on university business, then approval will be contingent upon satisfying each of the following, in accordance with the CSU Use of University and Private Vehicles Policy Guidelines]:

  1. Possession of a valid California Driver's License.
  2. Not have received more than three moving violations and/or accidents or combination thereof in the past twelve month period.
  3. Maintain a good and safe driving record while employed by San Diego State University.
  4. Entry into the Employer Pull Notice Program via submission of the following forms, which must be approved by Parking & Transportation Services prior to driving:
  5. Submission of the Defensive Driving online course certificate to Parking &Transportation Services within one month of the waiver approval date.  (Link to course will be sent upon waiver approval).
  6. Submission of Defensive Driver Yearly Release to Parking & Transportation Services once a year following entry into program.


Please Note 

California state law requires obtaining a California drivers license within 10 days and registering your vehicle within 20 days of establishing residency in CA. If you are a full time employee of San Diego State University we will require a California drivers license.

Can I drive my personal vehicle?

Those employees who drive their personal vehicle on state business more than once a month and/or will request mileage reimbursement must complete the steps above and have an Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business on file with their department, signed annually by the employee and supervisor.

I was in a accident, now what do I do?

Remember, while driving a vehicle on university business, it is mandatory to report any accident for which you are involved. The employee must submit a Vehicle Accident Report and the supervisor/manager must submit a Driver Accident Supervisor Review within 48 hours to Parking & Transportation Services, MC-4390.